Cold Dog ice cream scoops, made in Orillia in the 1920s and 1930s, sold well and were popular in the United States, but are rare in Canada.
Postcard Memories is a weekly series of historic postcard views and photos submitted by Marcel Rousseau.
Some have already been published by the Orillia Art and History Museum and in the Postcard Memories Orillia book.
In 1914, Frank E. Fisher and FW Vollans of Walkerville, Ont., Took over the bankrupt Tudhope Co. of Orillia.
They immediately started selling Tudhope cars under the Fisher name. Cars were either already assembled or assembled from leftover parts. Fisher left the company in April 1915 and Vollans relocated the company to Orillia.
War contract labor occupied the Fisher Motor Co. Ltd. until 1918 and they made auto accessories until 1928. One of the products produced was ice cream scoops.
Household and commercial shovels were manufactured in several sizes under the Fisher name. In 1926, Fredrick Vollans obtained a patent for his invention, “The Cold Dog Ice Cream Scoop”, from the United States Patent & Trademark Office.
The Cold Dog Scoop has been made in Orillia for several years under the Fisher name. The barrel of the spoon would be dipped into a pot of hard ice cream filling the cylinder. The user would then pull the trigger and release the ice cream cylinder into a cone. The ice cream was then dipped in a chocolate coating and sold.
In an era when the American hot dog was king, the Cold Dog ice cream cone became a popular treat. However, it was not as popular in Canada, as most Fisher Cold Dog shovels were sold in the United States and are a rare collector’s item in Canada.