New Delhi, first published July 6, 2022, 4:05 p.m. IST
On July 7, the world celebrates World Chocolate Day or International Chocolate Day. This special day allows people around the world to indulge in their favorite treat without feeling guilty.
Chocolate is undoubtedly one of mankind’s earliest luxuries that has maintained its reputation to this day. Chocolate is made from the fruit of the cocoa tree, first cultivated thousands of years ago.
Cocoa beans are initially bitter. Once harvested from the tree, they undergo several processes, including roasting, removing the shell and heating, to produce mouth-watering chocolate.
About the history of World Chocolate Day
There are various theories on how chocolate was introduced and how the candy gained polarity with the public. Some say that International Chocolate Day commemorates the introduction of chocolate to Europe in 1550. Cocoa confectionery, initially bitter, became sweet in 16th century Europe and became a popular delicacy in many homes. Baker’s Chocolate was America’s first chocolate company. The National Confectioners Association of the United States has designated a special day to celebrate sweet treats. According to some sources, the first World Chocolate Day took place in 2009. What matters most is that July 7 is observed as a day to enjoy chocolate in whatever form one prefers.
About the significance of World Chocolate Day
The sweet confectionery with brown hues is made from the seeds of the cocoa tree with a strong and bitter taste. To develop the world-famous taste, the seeds must be fermented. The cocoa bean has been cultivated for at least three millennia and is found in Mexico, Central America and northern South America. Many modern chocolate companies started in the late 1800s and early 1900s. You can commemorate the global event by indulging in various chocolate recipes and sharing them with your loved ones.
Know some facts about chocolate
1) Dark chocolate contains antioxidants that can help lower blood pressure and improve cardiovascular health.
2) Chocolate is considered a divine fruit, and the tree it comes from has an intriguing name that suggests its reputation dates back to ancient times. The tree is called Theobroma cacao in Greek; in English it means “food for the gods”.
3) To make 500 grams of chocolate, you need up to 400 cocoa beans. A cocoa pod usually contains 40 cocoa beans.
4) Endorphins, the feel-good chemicals in your body that make you happy, are released when you eat chocolate.
5) Although some people prefer white chocolate over dark chocolate, it should be noted that white chocolate is not chocolate. It contains no cocoa particles and is simply a combination of sugar, vanilla and cocoa butter.
Also read: Belgian-made chocolate factory triggers global health alert
Read also: Happy Chocolate Day 2022: Messages, wishes and quotes you can share on Whastapp, Facebook
Also read: Happy Chocolate Day 2022: Is chocolate addiction similar to drug addiction? Here’s what the experts have to say
Last updated July 6, 2022 at 4:16 PM IST